Wildlife & the Law

On this page you will find some of the more “common” laws people are not aware of in regards to our native wildlife.

In January of 2019 new legislation came in, that better protect our wildlife.

You can find a copy of this new legislation HERE.

Licence required to Rehabilitate Wildlife in WA

In WA, ANYONE wanting to care for Wildlife needs to be “licenced” or working under a Shelter/Group/Independently Licenced.

A sick, injured or abandoned native animal must be returned to the wild at the place where it was originally taken if it is capable of fending for itself; or given to a DBCA wildlife officer, a veterinary surgeon or a person who is authorised under a licence to rehabilitate fauna (i.e. the holder of a Fauna possessing (other purposes) licence). This must be done as soon as possible and within 72 hours of finding the sick, injured or abandoned animal.

For more information on Licencing for the purpose of Rehabilitating Wildlife, Code of Practice for Rehabilitation and Rehabilitation Standards and Guidelines can be found on the DBCA website HERE.

Feeding Wildlife

In WA, it is now an offence to feed our native wildlife under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016. Unfortunately, feeding our wildlife can lead to all sorts of issues;

  • A change in natural behaviours
  • Can come some birds to become “food aggressive”
  • Spread disease
  • Aid in the proliferation of pest species

“A person must not feed fauna unless the person has lawful authority to feed it”. 

(Penalty: a fine of $20,000).

Also check out “Healthy Wildlife, Healthy Lives”, HERE.

“Healthy Wildlife, Healthy Lives aims to educate the community about One Health, with a focus on human and domestic animal’s contact with wildlife in urban areas”

Trapping and Relocation of Possums

Studies have show that relocation of Possums is not a viable option as their survival rate is very low. A licence is required to Trap Possums, more information can be found HERE.

%d bloggers like this: